Community Resources

Food Assistance

Do you need help finding food for your family? Visit the Feeding the Gulf Coast website for help. Phone: (888) 704-FOOD(3663) or 2-1-1

Rental Assistance

State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP) Program provides one-time rental assistance to eligible Okaloosa County residents who have experienced loss of income, reduction in hours, or unemployment as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic only.
Visit this link for more details.

St. Mary Outreach

St Mary Outreach is now open on Thursday by appointment for assistance for those in need in our local community.  Call 850-435-3534. No walk-ins. Their new office is in the Catholic Charities building, 11 First Street SE, Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Dental Clinic for Children

The Florida Department of Health provides a dental clinic for children with Medicaid or Argus Healthy Kids plan, from first tooth to age 18. Services include exams, x-rays, cleanings, sealants, extractions, fillings, fluoride treatments, emergency care, and more. Call 850-689-5593 to schedule an appointment. 

Title IX, Part A - McKinney-Vento Education for Homeless Children and Youth

Can children or youth be considered homeless if their parents have sent them to live with other people because the parents are too poor to provide a regular and adequate home? Is the answer the same if the parents do not live in the United States? Yes and yes. Whether a child meets the definition of homelessness rests upon the child's living situation. A child is eligible for McKinney-Vento services if the child is sharing the housing of others due to loss of housing , economic hardship, or a similar reason. Therefore, a child who has been sent to live with others because his or her parents cannot afford to provide regular, adequate housing may be eligible for the McKinney-Vento Act's protections depending on the nature of the living arrangement. Children or youth who run away from home are also eligible. Whether the parents live in the U.S. or elsewhere is irrelevant and not a factor under the law.

If you are staying temporarily with someone else because you had to leave your home, or staying in a motel, campground, shelter, or in an outside or inadequate place, you have special rights at your school (elementary, middle, and high school). Those rights include:

  • Staying in the same school even if you move, and receiving transportation to that school, as long as it is in your best interest

  • Enrolling in school immediately without the documents schools usually require, and without a parent or guardian

  • Receiving free school meals

  • Getting help with school supplies, including what is needed to participate in distance learning and other needs

The Okaloosa County School District is committed to providing homeless students school stability, continuity, access to classes and programs to ensure academic success. The Title IX, Part A McKinney-Vento Homeless Act protects the educational rights of children and youth experiencing homelessness. If you have any questions or would like more information regarding these programs, please contact Ms. Connelly or OCSD's Title I/IX office 850-301-3008.